Starting a new internship kind of reminds me of the first day of school. Everything is new, you don't know what to expect, and you get to buy some new supplies (naturally, I love schools supplies). If you're starting a new internship, like many college students are this week, I'd suggest getting some fun supplies! Start off simple:
- Notebook: I love small colorful notebooks like my pink one from poppin.com. Since it's small it's easy to carry around and the bright colors are fun.
- Pencil Case: My pencil case is from Vera Bradley, which I've used since high school. I keep everything in there from my flash drive to gum to pens, pencils and highlighters.
- Pens: Always have a pen on you since you never know what you might need to jot down. Precise Rolling ball pens are my favorite.
- Highlighters: Having highlighters is good for organizing your notes and differentiating what task belongs to what project.
- Coffee Mug: I love my Starbucks coffee mug. Especially since I'm constantly refilling it and need coffee to function for the entire day...
Beyond all of the fun supplies, nerves and excitement of starting an internship, if there is anything I've learned this week it's three simple things:
- Stay Organized – Keep track of who you are meeting, your tasks and your deadlines. Through past experiences I've realized staying organized early on will help in the long run
- Be Curious – Ask questions. I used to hesitate to ask questions because I was afraid of sounding dumb, but honestly you're there to learn and it shows you're interested and engaged.
- Listen – I've come to realize that the first week is probably the most important week of an internship because you need to understand everything quickly. Once you listen to everything and apply it, then you can really get going and gain trust and responsibility.
Well actually, I've learned four things. I think this is the most important (at least for me):
Go to bed EARLY – I'm commuting into the city everyday from New Jersey, and I have to say I can feel the difference from when I go to bed at 11pm compared to 12:30am. I'm definitely more productive with more sleep. Sadly, coffee isn't always enough.
If you're interning this summer I hope you have a great time!